Thursday, April 28, 2005

Oz : Part 4

Well after all the heat we have been exposed to over the past month or so i guess it was in the programme to get some lovely cool weather and that thing everyone loves Rain!

Monday morning and we had to check out of our beloved Arts Factory. Tom was staying on in Byron for a couple more days so we left our bags in his room and decided we would go to the beach again. After a few hours at the beach we walked back into town, stopping off at the pie shop along the way, and managed to catch the shuttle running back to our hostel where we spent the last few hours playing a few games of pool and stocking up on food for our 13 hours coach journey to Sydney. Coach journey again was over night which enabled us to sleep for the majority and when we arrived in Sydney we headed to a hostel reccomemded by Clint called "Wake Up". This hostel was quite a bit different from The Arts factory as it was very modern and stylish with key cards to let you in the dorms which themselves wernt too shabby, plus the key cards only enabled you to get to your floor and the kitchen area. Spent the rest of tuesday walking to the nearest supermarket which was a 20 min walk away and shopping for food which for the first time we were going to cook ourselves to save money. We then walked to darling harbour where jackie went to the aquarium while Ed and I went and looked at a couple of old grand sailing ships which were moored nearby along with a submarine and gun ship. We also had a drink at a bar which turned out to be the one where Cheryl works as we found out later.
Wednesday morning and we had decided to go visit the Opera house and Harbour bridge which a guy in our dorm called Andy was planning to do aswell so we got walking with him tagging along. Taking a cut through the botanical gardens we bumped into another guy called Adam who we got chatting to and he joined our group aswell. We eventually worked our way to the opera house and took many photos of it as well as harbour bridge but there is only so much time you can stand looking at a building so we all walked back to our hostel. Apparently it was Adams last night abroad and he was flying back to england the next day so we went to the bar underneath us and had a few drinks with him then wished him farewell and went to bed.
It was also Andys last night in Sydney as he was going north so woke up to find him gone but Tom had arrived and had got a note which Jackie left in reception so got a bed in the same dorm as us. We got talking to some girls in our room who suggested that we take a visit to Kings Cross which apparently was meant to be a nice part of town to look round but after some time walking to find it we didnt see much that interested us so decided to go walk to some shop that Tom wanted to go see. After a few brief stops on the way we got to this big tax free shopping center which we managed to get lost in but didnt find anything interesting there neither. We also made a look into a photo art gallery which was quite cool, especially for Tom as he studied Photography at Uni, but then headed back to our hostel. All this took us 6 hours to do and i think we acctually cleared most of Sydney in one days walk. When we arrived back at the hostel Tom gave clint a ring and we arranged to make our way round to his flat later that evening which we did after a quick beans on toast supper. The evening was quite cool having drinks and looking at some of clints photos from his travels and just had quite a laugh and agreed to meet up the next evening as he said he was having a little gathering with some other friends of his after work.
Friday and after some time in the morning hanging about and waiting for Ed to get his photos put on CD we got organised and took a train and bus to Bondi Beach. This was quite a nice beach again with large rolling waves but none of us actualy went swimming as we had arrived quite late in the day and the sun was already goin down making it quite chilly. Instead we played cards untill we eventually got bored and got back on the bus and train back to Sydney central and decided that a Chicken curry was on the menu for the night so went shopping for ingredients. Tom had volenteered to cook us dinner so Ed and I helped as best we could while Tom did most of the cooking. it was a really nice meal and was the first time i had been fully filled for a long time. After such a nice feed we took a walk back over to Clints flat where we met some of his other friends and Clint had prepared some lovely nibbles for us which everyone tucked into and got chatting away. We had such a funny evening as everyone got quite merry and there was lots of laughter and lots of funny photos have been taken to keep us reminded of the greeat night we had!
Saturday morning we all woke up and began organising our day with Clint as he was on his weekend so we decided to take a trip to Manly Beach where we would also meet Cheryl and her boyfriend. We took the Manly Ferry from Darling harbour, again we left our beaching time to the very end of the day, passing the Opera house and Bridge which looked alot better in the gleaming sunshine. Got to the beach where we met Cheryl and her other half and just spent the time chatting for a while and Ed and I went into the surf for while while the others just sat on the beach. After the sun began to drop blow the horizon we took a walk to the edge of the cliff and watched the sunset which was nice then headed back to catch the ferry home, again passing the opera house and bridge but at night with all the lights beaming out which looked pretty cool! Went back to our hostel to shower and change then headed to Clints agian where he had cooked us a huge meal of bangers and mash and jacket potatoes with beans and cheese and salad which was all damn good. This was all in preperation for the nights Pub Crawl which Cheryl had organised for us to do with them all as our alst night in Sydney and with our friends. The night was again an excellent one and unfortunately we had to say goodbye to Cheryl and go to our hostel to sleep.
Sunday morning awoke with some sore heads and quikly packed and checked out and took a taxi round to clints where he and Tom were also nursing sore heads. We hung out at clints for the day jsut chilling and playing chess etc then unfortunately it was time to leave and had to say goodbye to them both though we said we would definately be meeting up with Tom back in Oxford. It was sad to say goodbye but we got on our coach ready or the 14 hour drive down to melbourne! We had no idea what we were going to do down there and it was again sad to think it was our last couple of days left in Australia but oh well New Zealand awaited which was sure to be filled with many adventures as well!
Cya all soon


Post a Comment

<< Home